Friday, January 6, 2012

Nappy Friday natural styles! To Shampoo or Pre-Poo? Is the question???????

Hey HAWTies, Happy NAPPY Friday!!!!


To Shampoo or Pre-Poo? Is the question???????

Going Napural takes a lot of strength, confidence, frustration, etc. But if requires education & research. Me personally I haven't permed my hair since late 2009, but taking care of my hair didn't happen until about late 2010, that's what I consider my Napural anni. LOL Only cause at that point I made a decision to make sure that my hair is just as beautiful as the wigs or weaves I rock & it would be HEALTHY.

One of the first things that I learned is that Cleaning your hair can actually do damage depending on how your cleaning it & with what! Most shampoo's contain sulfates which are helpful in keeping the moisture in but it also strips the hair of its natural oils.The majority of the buildup we are trying to remove lies on our scalp, not our hair. Our hair really only needs the conditioning aspect of the wash cycle. Well HELL !!! So needless to say I was pissed that I hadn't known that already. Knowing is half the battle................ Now how in the hell am I to clean & moisturize my hair?  I had so many questions going thru my mind & I still do but I did more research on this &  I kept reading & hearing about Pre-Poo's, well what exactly is that?

 Its so silly to say but the act itself is sooooooooooo rewarding. Pre-pooing is a process of adding a conditioner/oil mixture to your dry comb out sectioned hair, this adds in the moisture & helps protect the hair during the shampooing process.Using an oil or a conditioner can help provide a barrier between the hair and the harsh detergents in the shampoo. Some Napural HAWTies still shampoo with a non sulfate shampoo after the pre-poo & others use more conditioner to cleanse out the pre-poo. Ive read a lot of mix reviews on which process works the best, but I would say try what works for you. There are so many options out there, there isn't a wrong way to, but now the next question is well how do I try to Pre-poo?

Its best to start on dry hair, that way the it can be better absorbed in the hair. HAWTies with TWA you just need to make sure that your detanlged before you all start. With the concoction being sticky & kind of hard to manage depending on what your using in your Pre-poo, its best to make sure that Med. to long hair HAWTies section & detangle your hair before applying. Start in one section & saturate your strands with your concoction, & continue to the other sections of the head, its that simple to do. Once done with the whole head cover with a conditioning cap (or shower cap) for up an hour, or sit under a hooded dryer or not for 30 minutes.  HAWTies your can go longer than that but many suggest not to this over night. Im still researching that portion of the pre-poo, so check back on that but you want to Follow with shampoo or conditioner. 

Many different Oils, herbs & botanicials do different things to your hair & scalp so please research the many different benefits of the items that you use. One thing that most Napurals stay away from in the Pro-pooing process is Castor Oil. (again I am still researching on why that is HAWTies)

I grabbed a few different Pre-poo recipes from other Napural Blogs & I also provided the first one that I used on my own hair. Which I must say that ever since Ive started Pre-pooing, my hair has been so soft & manageable & I will always pre-poo going forward. I try to pre-poo at least twice a month. So tell what you think HAWTies & please provide any helpful info!!! 

My First Pre-Poo

  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil 
  • 1 egg  
  • A handful of 
 Just stuff that I had in my kitchen!And it worked GREAT!

Recipe for Shea Mango Butter Pre-poo Treatment 

(note all measurements can be adjusted depending on hair type, length, thickness etc).

(Disclaimer: This is a recipe that works with my hair. I am in no way responsible the different outcomes of different people. What may work for me may not work for you. Thank you.)

  • 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
     
  • 2 Tablespoons of Honey
     
  • 2 Tablespoons of Shea Butter
     
  • 1 Tablespoon of Mango Butter
     
  • 2 Small pans (one a little bigger than the other for a makeshift double boiler).

Step 1: Add water to one of the pan (the bigger one) and heat until boiling (do not add too much water because the other pan is going on top and you do not want a huge boiling mess…lol)
Step 2: Add olive oil, shea butter and mango butter into small pan. Place small pan on top of bigger pan with the water boiling (be careful that water is hot!!)
Step 3: Add honey and stir until completely melted and combined
Step 4: Take mixture off of heat and let cool completely. (no one wants hot oil on their scalp…*ouch!*)
Step 5: Once completely cool to the touch, distribute through hair, cover with a plastic cap or bag for 30-45 minutes.
Step 6: Wash out mixture using shampoo and condition and style as usual.
There ya go, the first time I tried this I loved it. My hair felt so soft. I usually don’t get a chance to do this pre-poo treatment very often but when I do it’s a treat.

(Note: You don’t have to use olive oil or mango butter in this recipe add any oil(s) that you like!)

I tried this one out & I liked how my hair felt& smelled, And it lasted a very long time for my hair. Kinda of time  consuming but we have make sacrifices for beauty LOL.  


dandruff/shedding recipe:

1 cup moisturizing conditioner (thick)
4 tsp 100% garlic powder
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp tea tree oil
1 tbsp peppermint oil

Blend very well and sleep in overnight.

I haven't tried this one out, but I had very horrible dandruff so I may give this a whirl soon.


Scalp Treatment
(Good for Growth)

1/4 cup of aloe vera gel
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp of Amla powder
1 tsp Brahmi powder
5-10 drops rosemary oil

Mix ingredients thoroughly and apply to scalp as a pre-shampoo treatment. Massage scalp for ten minutes. Leave in 20 min (plastic cap optional)then wash hair as normal.


growth/stimulation 

1/4 cup ea.
lanolin oil
coconut oil
almond oil
avocado oil
peppermint oil (10 drops)
rosemary oil (10 drops)

she lets it sit for 20-30 min under plastic cap

Mixed in a bottle, (not sure of the shelf life)


HAWTies if you all have any recipes that you may want to share please leave in the comments or email me @ fancydeeva@yahoo.com. Thanks for Reading & Nappy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment